Our approach to preserving history has changed. Physical copies no longer have to be hidden away, boxed up, or covered in dust. Rather, we convert records to digital formats and invest in digital archives in order to guarantee their security. That is the future (and to be honest – the present) of archiving and preservation.
But what is digital archiving and why is it important? Let us find out.
Why is Document Archiving Important?
Archiving documents means storing your old information (both digital and paper) in a secure location.
There are several reasons why it is important:
- Prevents data loss
- Makes sure only the right people have access to the right documents
- Keep documents organized and accessible
- Saves you valuable storage space in your office and on your server
- Ensures your business meets legal auditing requirements
Why Digital Asset Management (DAM) for Archiving?
While you can archive your data in many ways, DAM is one of the most innovative and advanced solutions that not only helps you archive your data securely, but also helps you maintain it for a long time. Here’s why you should opt for DAM to archive your files.
1. Well Organization of Data
When documents are properly archived, your staff will have easy and secure access to the information they require, resulting in less downtime and delays.
Many businesses opt to store, maintain, and retrieve their records using records management software.
Records management software like ioMoVo has several benefits like:
- Anywhere you have an internet connection, you can easily view digital documents.
- When employees access or modify a document, or request that one be retrieved, you can get real-time notifications.
2. Enhanced Search Capabilities
It gets more challenging to keep organized as you acquire more and more assets in your huge digital collections. A DAM system has advanced search features, allowing users to look for assets using keywords, dates, and other criteria. Even if there are millions of assets to sort through, finding what you’re searching for is as easy as entering a keyword and narrowing down the search using filters. These characteristics of DAM not only provide companies confidence in the management of their digital archives, but they also give users seeking information a uniform experience.
3. Improved Security—only the right people can access the right documents
When archiving digital documents, you may password-protect them so that only specific persons have access to them. Document management systems keep track of who has viewed, edited, or deleted files, and they provide real-time updates.
Paper files that have been archived are more secure since your document management business will make sure that only personnel with permission have access to them. The company will remove the data from storage and hand-deliver it to a designated employee inside your organization.
However, if the worst happens and your company is hit by a natural disaster that wipes out all of your paper records, an electronic document management system like ioMoVo will be critical in the recovery process.
4. Flexible Access Permissions
Digital archives are accessible from anywhere on the globe, at any time, thanks to the flexibility of a cloud-based DAM – but not everyone should have the same permission levels. Organizations may build an endless number of user groups and tailor their rights and access levels, including their ability to access, share, and download certain asset sets, using DAM. This gives the DAM owner complete control over who may see and download what, as well as keeping track of when and by whom assets were accessed. Assets can also be safely shared with non-users through an online web gallery or branded portal, allowing them to view and download the files they require.
5. No More Losing Data
Losing key data might have major repercussions for your company:
- Reduced productivity—recovering lost files might take hours or days, preventing your staff from working. The more documents you misplace, the more downtime your company will suffer.
- Loss of client trust—if you misplace or steal files containing your customers’ personal information, it will not only impact your connection with those customers, but you may also face a hefty punishment.
- Breaking the law—if sensitive information is lost or accessed by anyone without authorization, you or your company may be in violation of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). There are a number of possible outcomes, including criminal prosecution and large penalties.
The easiest way to prevent this is to secure your documents by archiving them with a trusted digital asset management system for archives, like ioMoVo.
ioMoVo offers archiving features to ensure documents can be easily accessed for business or legal reasons, or for auditing purposes. It also offers a highly secure document archiving, storage and records management service.
ioMoVo’s archive asset management focuses on the preservation of media and information to create long-term archives libraries.
For more details, visit us at the NAB show in Las Vegas, and we will provide you with a solution in person, giving you an insight into the technology that ioMoVo uses to handle critical problems in the digital world. You may also contact us, and our team will give you a free demo.